Thursday, October 06, 2005

A Case For Miers

This is perhaps the most interesting pro-Miers piece I've read. Of particular note are her financial contributions to pro-life candidates (including the Nebraska Attorney General who defended the state's partial birth abortion law in front of SCOTUS) and her writing on the Second Amendment. (She is also a past gun owner.)

I was truly shocked by the nomination, but am beginning to hope that the President might have outflanked the Democrats with a better outcome than initially seemed possible...maybe he really did figure he didn't need to have a barn-burning fight with an army of wobbly RINOs if he could get what he (and the "base") wanted with Harry Reid's blessing.

I have found the "stealth candidate" tactic disappointing in part as I think the "public conversation" about the proper roles of the judiciary and the Senate that might result from the appointment of someone like Edith Jones would be good for the country, and I also don't like that anyone who's taken a public stand on controversial issues seems to be excluded from being nominated. But I'm now feeling more optimistic that the long-term results, at least, will be positive.

(Hat tip: Hugh Hewitt.)

3 Comments:

Blogger UGN said...

I don't know what the big deal is about. This woman seems to be as conservative as they come. Conservatives should be dancing in the streets, now that we have people such as Dobson coming out to attest to her credentials. Unless the last 30 years of her life have been a huge lie in order to prepetrate a snow-job of grand proportions, we have nothing to worry about.

I don't care that somehow people say that she doesn't have a sharp intellect. How the heck do they know! I don't care if she is as dumb as a rock as long as she votes conservative. I only care about the result. Besides, it is all those people with the creative intellects who have found ways to twist the constitution into unnatural positions.

No worries here.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Glad to hear positive thoughts! :) Thanks.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I like your thoughts very much! :)

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older