Sunday, July 16, 2006

Tonight's Dinner: Union Hotel Fried Chicken

I recently came across an interesting profile of Judy Rodgers, chef at California's Zuni Cafe, in the L.A. Times. The article focused on how Rodgers uses salt to bring out the best in different kinds of meat.

This afternoon I tried the accompanying recipe for Rodgers' Union Hotel Fried Chicken, and it was outstanding! (The recipe is linked at the subject line.) The whole family loved it. I made the chicken exactly as described in the recipe; the directions were excellent. If the recipe interests you, I recommend printing it out before it disappears into the Times' paid archives. :)

Along with the chicken I made mashed potatoes and milk gravy with some of the fried chicken drippings. I added a little more salt and pepper than the gravy recipe called for.

I wouldn't make fried chicken on a regular basis for health reasons, but as an occasional treat it's really wonderful. Highly recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older