Thursday, May 22, 2008

B&N May Buy Borders

Interesting news for those who love books.

(Hat tip: L.A. Biz Observed.)

The Wall Street Journal asks: "Would a bigger Barnes & Noble kill independent bookstores?"

I think that ship has already left port...for instance, my favorite independent bookstore in East Long Beach, CA -- the late, lamented Book Emporium -- closed as soon as word came that a Borders would be opening across the street. The number of independent bookstores nationwide has already shrunk considerably. I question whether a merger of the two chains would make a further difference to those independents still in existence.

2 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Phooey! I like Borders better than B&N. I'd hate for them to be sold and changed by anyone...I just wish there was one closer to me.

Missy http://missyisms.typepad.com

3:21 PM  
Blogger Kori and Ken Pellman said...

The way to fight back against the larger chains, with any business, is to specialize.

If I see a book, DVD, or CD at Costco that I want, I'm going to buy it there. But their selection is very limited.

The large book chains, at least in their brick-and-mortar stores, can't carry everything. -Ken

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older