Friday, October 31, 2008

A TCM Blog Roundup

If you're stressed out by the pending election and would like an escape from wall-to-wall political coverage, I highly recommend that fans of classic movies head over to the Movie Morlocks blog at the Turner Classic Movies website.

To be sure, I don't care for all the posts there -- the (illustrated!) horror movie posts this week aren't my thing -- but over the last few weeks in particular I've come across some outstanding pieces on a variety of topics.

Moirafinnie is my favorite writer at Movie Morlocks, sharing her insights in lengthy, informative posts, such as this biography of actor Brian Donlevy.

Here are some other posts by various Movie Morlocks writers which I found particularly interesting:

...an article on director Frank Borzage, especially his Spencer Tracy-Loretta Young film MAN'S CASTLE, which I recently recorded.

...a review of the new ROAD HOUSE DVD.

...the Chicago locations in CALL NORTHSIDE 777. I reviewed this film in 2006.

...a review of the Joseph Cotten-Jennifer Jones fantasy PORTRAIT OF JENNIE. Many years ago I saw this film in a revival theater -- it was spectacular when the side curtains rolled back and the climactic storm was shown in green-tinted widescreen.

...an essay on another fantasy, MR. PEABODY AND THE MERMAID, starring William Powell and Ann Blyth. I've had a copy of this sitting in my video cupboard which I really need to watch.

...an article on George Bancroft pre-Code films in general, and BLOOD MONEY in particular. I taped BLOOD MONEY when it aired on Fox Movie Channel recently and am looking forward to seeing it.

...a post on Errol Flynn and the new set of Errol Flynn Westerns.

Happy reading...and viewing!

2 Comments:

Blogger windycorner said...

Thanks for this. I'm very nervous about the election and need to take my mind off it.
Holley

9:34 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I can relate!!

Enjoy --

Laura

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older