Saturday, February 27, 2010

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Here are two reviews of one of my favorite pre-Code films, Loretta Young's MIDNIGHT MARY (1933), by Movie Classics and Mondo 70. This just might be my favorite Young performance, and she's ably supported by Franchot Tone and Ricardo Cortez. It's on DVD.

...Leonard Maltin reviews the new Bad Girls of Film Noir DVD sets. Incidentally, I have to confess disappointment with Mr. Maltin's new website, which is disorganized and doesn't seem to be updated with new content as often as his old site.

...This post was written a couple of years ago, but it's never too late to enjoy a tribute to Robert Montgomery.

...The highly regarded Power Line, one of the finest political blogs on the web, is now a free iTunes app, in a format which is easier to read on a mobile device than going directly to the Power Line website.

...Moira Finnie recently wrote a lovely essay on Tyrone Power at Skeins of Thought. And over at the TCM Blog she has a very interesting post on the film THE SILVER CORD (1933), starring Irene Dunne and Joel McCrea.

...Ivan had the good news that one of my favorite country singers, Don Williams, has been elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame.

...I came across Four Story Mistake, a children's lit blog, thanks to the blogroll at Flying Down to Hollywood.

...Monty at All Good Things reviewed FIVE CAME BACK (1939), a short little RKO movie which packs a punch. I've never forgotten how much it spooked me when I saw it as a teen at the L.A. County Museum of Art. It was remade as BACK FROM ETERNITY with Robert Ryan in 1956... All Good Things has been added to the blog roll at the left. (Hat tip: KC at Classic Movies.)

...KC also pointed me in the direction of an interesting review of Zachary Scott and Betty Field in THE SOUTHERNER (1945) by Cliff at Immortal Ephemera. I've had the DVD from VCI on my shelf for a while now but haven't yet watched it.

...John DiLeo pays tribute to the late actor-dancer James Mitchell at Screen Savers. DiLeo focuses on Mitchell's work in the musical DEEP IN MY HEART (1954), and three great dramas: BORDER INCIDENT (1949), STARS IN MY CROWN (1950), and DEVIL'S DOORWAY (1950).

...This slow cooker carnitas recipe at A Year of Slow Cooking looks great!

...I just came across an enjoyable 2009 post at Kevin's Movie Corner about Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and his film THE EXILE (1947).

...Musings on Kitchen-Aid stand mixers are at Al Dente...my husband has had a cobalt blue Kitchen-Aid stand mixer for years, but the funny thing is, he and our children are the only ones who use it. I've never used anything but a hand mixer. Maybe someday I'll give it a whirl!

...Valentine's Day has passed, but it's never too late for romantic movies...here's an interesting list posted by Panavia999.

...My friend Michele passed on this link about a new book, COLLECTIBLE MOVIE POSTERS.

...A 2008 British version of THE 39 STEPS airs Sunday night on MASTERPIECE. USA Today published a story on the new adaptation.

...Here's more on the UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS sequel first mentioned here last fall.

...And speaking of British TV, don't forget that the first season of POLDARK is out on DVD next Tuesday, March 2nd! (Update: More good POLDARK news -- POLDARK II will be released on September 28, 2010.)

Have a great weekend!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

I'm glad you like "Four Story Mistake." It's one of my favorite blogs!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

The blog name immediately caught my eye as I love Elizabeth Enright's Melendy books! :) I look forward to visiting the blog again soon.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:33 PM  
Blogger monty said...

Thanks for the shout out Laura about my review of Five Came Back.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're very welcome!

Best wishes,
Laura

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older