Sunday, August 29, 2010

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...POSSESSED: THE LIFE OF JOAN CRAWFORD, written by Donald Spoto, will be released November 2, 2010. Spoto is the author of numerous biographies, but I'm not sure if I've read one.

...USA Today plans a "radical" overhaul and will lay off 130 staff members. The paper plans to shift its emphasis from its print edition to "digital delivery." The paper has been getting thinner and thinner; is this the beginning of the end?

...In other publishing news, Barnes & Noble is currently attempting to fend off a hostile takeover.

...Another new film biography: HUMPHREY BOGART: THE MAKING OF A LEGEND by Darwin Porter is due September 16, 2010. (Update: Thanks to Jane for pointing out in the comments that Porter, the author of this book and the title below, has a dubious track record. His past titles certainly give one pause. Approach both books with caution!)

...There's also a book due out on Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier, by Darwin Porter and Roy Moseley. It will be available December 16, 2010.

...Last weekend I watched the 1976 film MIDWAY. Now a 3D film about the battle is said to be in the works.

...Today's L.A. Times Travel section featured a nice spread on visiting the Fess Parker Winery in Los Olivos, California. A sidebar column with trip-planning details is here.

...A new cookbook due on October 12th: FAMILY MEAL by Tyler Florence. The title has changed slightly since I mentioned it last June.

...Starlet Showcase has a photo tribute to Frances Dee.

...Last week ClassicFlix announced that VCI would be releasing a new DVD of the relatively little-known Christmas film I'LL BE SEEING YOU (1944) in November, but then almost immediately the release was said to be postponed. I'll be watching for updates.

...At Movietone News Matthew recently wrote about "The films I most wish had never fallen into the public domain." As a fellow Hedy Lamarr fan I was interested in his fun review of THE STRANGE WOMAN (1946), which I haven't yet seen.

...The Self-Styled Siren wrote an interesting review of another film I haven't seen yet, John Ford's WEE WILLIE WINKIE (1937), starring Shirley Temple.

...Anyone who goes on this ride is nuts: take a look at the design for Knott's Berry Farm's new WindSeeker.

...A new book on this year's health care legislation: THE TRUTH ABOUT OBAMACARE by health care expert Sally C. Pipes, which was reviewed by Thomas Sowell. Incidentally, it appears one of the law's many unfortunate effects may be ending student insurance on college campuses.

...Greenbriar Picture Shows writes about the new book ERROL & OLIVIA, which I mentioned in a recent roundup.

...Also at Greenbriar Picture Shows, a lovely photo tribute and article on SUMMER HOLIDAY (1948), which airs on Turner Classic Movies on September 9, 2010. It's not a perfect film, but it's gorgeous to look at...I saw a beautiful print at the Vagabond Theater in Los Angeles quite a while back in time.

...Reviews, reviews, and more reviews: Carrie at Classic Montgomery led me to a review at Confessions of a Film Addict on Robert Montgomery's terrific pre-Code comedy THE MAN IN POSSESSION (1931)...Glenn Erickson has an interesting point of view on THE MCCONNELL STORY (1955), a Warner Archive DVD-R reviewed at DVD Savant...and Black and White: Cinema and Chocolate looks at Ginger Rogers and Ray Milland in LADY IN THE DARK (1944). I saw the latter film at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art many years ago but I don't remember it very well.

...I came across the book VERNA FELTON by Frederick Tucker thanks to my Amazon recommendations. It came out last March. Felton's voice work included several Disney films; she was Mrs. Jumbo in DUMBO (1941), the Fairy Godmother in CINDERELLA (1950), the Queen of Hearts in ALICE IN WONDERLAND (1951), and Flora in SLEEPING BEAUTY (1959).

...Lou Lumenick reports that the Warner Archive will now be releasing films on a weekly basis, rather than every other week.

...Philadelphia wants bloggers who carry ads to purchase $300 business licenses.

...The L.A. Times covered USC passing UCLA in the national college rankings, which I mentioned last week.

Have a great week!

4 Comments:

Blogger SimpleGifts said...

Hi, Laura -
I came across a few pages of another book about Bogart by Darwin Porter on Google Books. It was just awful. The author tells distasteful (to put it mildly) and dubious tales about people who are no longer here to dispute the stories. If you read user reviews on Amazon of his other books, you'll see I'm not alone in my opinion. Jane

11:59 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the warning, Jane! I'm unfamiliar with this author and just saw the title in my Amazon recommendations. That is too bad. I'll add a note to the post!

Best wishes,
Laura

12:01 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Midway in 3D? Is 3D an excuse for Hollywood not being able to generate an original storyline anymore?

Heard this morning about a remake of John Wayne's Flying Tigers, too

2:32 PM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

My home park, Cedar Point, is getting one of those rides too, as it says in the article. I'm not sure whether I would ride it or not. I've been up in the air 300 *and* 400 feet on Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster, but those were brief moments. I've also dangled for a few terrifying moments on Power Tower, which is 240 feet high. However, I'd have to at least lose weight before I could try it. :(

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older