Sunday, September 19, 2010

Notable Passings

...I grew up reading Hollywood columnist James Bacon's column in the long-defunct Los Angeles Herald-Examiner. Bacon has passed away at the age of 96.

...Roderick Mann, a longtime entertainment columnist for the Los Angeles Times, has also passed on, at the age of 87.

It's a strange coincidence that two entertainment columnists I read for so many years passed away a day apart.

...The Reverend Peter J. Marshall has died at the age of 70.

Marshall was the son of Dr. Peter Marshall, the onetime U.S. Senate chaplain whose life story was told in the film A MAN CALLED PETER (1955), starring Richard Todd and Jean Peters. Peter J. Marshall's mother, Catherine, was an author whose works include the classic CHRISTY, which was filmed for television.

Peter J. Marshall was a Yale and Princeton graduate who headed Peter Marshall Ministries and was himself the author of several books, including THE LIGHT AND THE GLORY 1492-1793 and its sequels.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Laura this is the first I'm hearing of this news of Peter Marshall's passing, I appreciate that you've shared this. I just heard him on a radio program a few weeks ago. Only 70.

Though saddened, I'm comforted to know that the Lord has called him home, and that he's reunited with his mother and father, whose lives I have always admired. Also, I've read both L&G and From Sea; excellent books on the history of America. What a legacy.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older