Saturday, March 29, 2014

Disneyland: Mechanical Kingdoms

On a recent visit to Disneyland I spent time taking in the latest exhibit in the Disney Gallery, Mechanical Kingdoms.


The exhibit's subtitle is "Steam-Driven Visions of a Victorian Future," and it features some of Disney's many "retro-futuristic" designs.


The exhibit particularly emphasizes designs for Disneyland Paris, which has Discoveryland rather than Tomorrowland; Discoveryland's concept is that visitors experience what "visionaries" of the 19th century dreamed of the future. There's a heavy Jules Verne theme including a walk-through of the Nautilus from 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA.

Some of my 2009 photos of Discoveryland can be seen in this post.

Here's a 1987 design of the Disneyland Paris Space Mountain by Tim Delaney:


The Disneyland Paris Space Mountain is much more intense than the Disneyland version, incidentally! I'm pretty sure I was upside-down at one point, but it was dark (grin).

One of the Disneyland attractions which fascinated me most when I was young was Monsanto's Adventure Through Inner Space. I think I was pretty convinced at one point that people really shrunk entering the ride!

Here's Herb Ryman's 1966 design of the first part of the ride:


The Discovery Bay concept created by Tony Baxter in 1974 never became reality:


Here's a 1979 Marc Davis design of an "iron horse" for Epcot:


There are many additional photographs of the exhibit at MiceChat and Disneyland Live.

Previous Disney Gallery exhibits: Magic on the Water, The Colors of Mary Blair, Trains of Disney, Crowning Achievements, and Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Realms.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

I'd love to check out this exhibit. I also rode Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris in 2006, and it's definitely a much rougher ride. I loved it and am pretty sure it had a loop. I was lucky enough to ride Adventures in Inner Space when I was 9 and went to Disneyland in 1985. I don't remember that much but love that type of ride from Disney.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for visiting, Dan, and for confirming that the Disneyland Paris ride seemed to have a loop. That was a rugged ride! My daughter went on it twice but once was enough for my husband and me.

I used to love to look at the people "shrinking" at the start of the Adventures in Inner Space ride! I'm glad you were able to experience it.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older